London 2012.
It has been quite about 2 weeks since it started. And every night when I get home late I only managed to catch those events right in the wee hours of the night. And hope for the 2nd telecast of the other events that had been left out of my schedule.
Currently still enjoying all the events as I witnessed competition, challenges, breakthroughs, and limits, and whatever else. However there are particularly 2 events. Or rather, two sportsmen, that shook me. And made me, erm, tear/touched inside me.
1) Oscar Pistorius (South Africa).
The moment I saw him on the starting point I was already shocked. My first thought that came into my mind, trust me, was, "is he trying to raise funds for charity?" Little did I realise that this handicapped, double amputee knee down, and wearing carbon fibre blades with the balls to pit himself against the BIG BOYS was no small feat; he came in second in his first round of heats. With an astonishing timing of 45.44 seconds. Believe that. Who says handicapped cannot pit themselves against "normal people"? That was when i gave him a round of applause. Respect.
2) Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia).
Probably because he is a Malaysian. A true, blue Malaysian. That was why I feel for him. But actually i only managed to switch on the TV to watch the last few points of the game. seriously that literally meant the last few points of the game. The match between the two "Super Saiyans (described by my friend), Lin Dan (China) and himself. Both got their one sets, and both were then 2 points away from the gold medal.
They exchanged blows. I mean, shuttlecock hits. Somehow it just seems that no smack, strategy could pin either opponent down; the only factor that could decide who gets the point is the word "mistake".
Finally. The last point, Lee Chong Wei gave way. His one and only mistake - returning the shuttlecock too far out into the opponent's court - landed the shuttlecock just inches outside the court. That, was the end. Gold and Silver medalists were out.
However that was the amazing part - I learnt from my friends that this exciting match was presented by the injured Lee Chong Wei. An ankle injury that caused him to have only 2 weeks of preparation - and he was still able to deliver such a spectacular performance against Lin Dan - that was what was worth the respect. Flashbacking to his motions, his serves, returns, smacks, imagined him doing that with that hindrance of his ankle. And then, I almost cried.
The whole of Malaysia, and probably, the Singaporeans were all cheering for him. Because we know, that is what we call true talent and sportsmanship. Respect.
Ok typing until here. I felt like crying again..